The Spring House Commons
Barryville, new york
Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River
Wouldn't you want to own a piece of History?
This beautiful building was included in the National Historic Register in 2009.
With its wonderful history of old boarding life - it is one of the last boarding houses still standing in Sullivan County. There are lots of articles about previous owners from the past, as well as mentions in books written in the past and present time.
This lot and premises was first purchased by Joseph Y. Crane (for Hiram Quick) from Gardner Forgerson in July of 1845. Quick then erected a dwelling on this lot. Quick then gave the property to John W. Johnston who in turn sold it to George Layman. Mr. Layman enlarged the house, improved and beautified the grounds that presented for it's location and attractiveness of any land in the area. It became a summer boarding house in 1899 for travelers. Entertainment and moderate charges insured a general custom to his place.